"I used to be able to eat that" - Menopausal Woman
So menopause and peri-menopausal women, it's now that you can help menopause by changing what and how you eat your food. Yes, it's about this time that your digestion and metabolism is about to go on strike, so weight gain, bloating, constipation or diarrhoea are just a few of the signs and symptoms you may have. Plus your thyroid and adrenals may also start to go through some drastic changes.
It's time to change your relationship with certain foods
Foods to eat more of:
Freshly grind seeds in a blender, coffee blender or mortar and pestle to put on porridge, cereal, salads, smoothies or soups. Flaxseed is full of fibre (seeds only) plus omega-3 fats (builds Yin, the moistening aspect of your body)
Lignans (anti-cancer, phytoestrogens and antioxidants, cardiovascular benefit/cholesterol)
- Citrus peel (white part)
- Grape skins
- Many whole grains (except gluten intolerance)
TCM Nutrition - Foods to Avoid:
- Heat producing foods such as alcohol, refined/processed foods, coffee, limit animal products (avoid hormone treated products)
- Avoid greasy or fried foods - healthy fat is best
- Avoid raw, cold foods
- Add cooling foods: bean sprouts, celery, apples, asparagus, grapes, white ocean fish, melons, tofu
- No smoking, as it burns Yin (your cooling/moistening ability)
In telling you all this, menopause is a state that you have to try foods out and feel how they react with you. This phase of life is all about renegotiating your relationship with food, what works and what doesn't, so just try it out your body will tell you if you listen.