Winter time, it's a new energy and it's a time to go within.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine it's a time that relates to our kidneys which is our base energy. So if you have been running on adrenalin and been very busy then its time to rejuvenate and rest where you can.
With these interesting times that we have all been facing our kidneys have certainly been on over drive. If we don't recognize this and keep pushing then we will eat into our Jing and this can not be replaced easily and in TCM this will be shortening our life expectancy. The emotion of a person with low kidney energy is fear which can manifest as anxiety.
Winter time also relates to our bones and this is where our marrow is made and where our blood and part of our immune system is produced. Once again if we don't let rest be apart of of life style then the deep maintenance of our bones cannot be achieved. if you are a pusher or high achiever or just don't give yourself time to rest in life then be aware.
Mother nature is a great revealer of this, lets take the Trees, in Winter they bring all their energy and sap into their main trunk to rejuvenate and repair (like our bone system) so they can bring forth newness in the spring. Certain animals do this as well like bears and snakes to name a few.
If we disconnect with our innate nature that is screaming to us from our DNA then we will fall to exhaustion and disease. Sounds dramatic but its true.
So what can you do:
- Rest where you can or go to bed earlier.
- Eat foods that nourish our blood and bones like stews and broths, get your slow cooker out and create simple delights that the body can easily absorb.
- Eat root veggies and leave the cold salads out.
- Its Kidney time so you must not forget your water intake which is easy done when we are not sweating as much, include herbal teas or just warm water to supplement this 1.5 litre intake a day.
- Kidney time is at 5pm to 7pm in TCM so if your lower back aches or you feel as the saying goes, 'bone tired" during this time then rest is your key.
- Legs up the wall or () is an amazing yoga pose to regenerate the kidneys as it pools the blood into this area, 5 to 10 minutes at the end of the day would be fabulous.
- Exercise does not need to be hard core, so walking or gentle yoga, no pushing is the key here.
- Keeping your feet warm is essential as the kidney meridian starts at the soul of your feet and if your feet are always cold this strains your kidney energy and will effect your base energy. The cold will go up your meridians and lodge in your lower back or if you're a woman it can Lodge in your uterus causing period pain or fertility issues for some .
- Don't push through being cold ,stay warm and allow your body to go internal and repair.
Enjoy this beautiful change of weather and find things that take you within.
|Tags:immunityfatiguenurturingchallengenourishingcoldlivingWinterchangestresscalmtreatmenttranquilbalanceunwindcalmingGold CoastBurleighlifestylemother naturesupportweatherempoweringsleephealthacupunctureTCM|